Friday, October 30, 2009

Dell Ultrasharp Monitor too bright?

Most Dell customers are calling Dell Technical support complaining that their monitors are too bright, even though the monitor's brightness settings are set to zero. And even if the technical support would replace the monitor, still same issue.

I've tested Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP, one thing I do noticed is, since it's ultrasharp, the picture is really crisp and yes, bright.

I've tried to see it for myself. Here's the specs of the computer I used.

MSI GX620.
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
Memory: 4GB DDR2, 800
Video Card: Nvidia 9600MGT
OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

The results. The monitor's brightness settings are set to zero, and still it's too bright.

The thing that i found is, most video cards are not designed for ultrasharp monitors, so technically the brightness settings of the video card is set to 50%.

I tried to lower the video card brightness settings to zero then adjusted the brightness settings of the monitor to my preferred settings, then viola, everything's pleasurable to my eyes.

All video cards have independent brightness settings.
For Nvidia you can access the Nvidia controll panel
For ATI you can access the Catalyst Control Center
For Intel you can access the display settings.

Hope these would help you. Because replacing the monitor won't fix the issue, since the monitor is working as designed.

No comments:

Post a Comment