Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hottie Laptop




Hot Laptop.

 

The worst enemy of laptops is heat. Always asking yourself, how come the video of my laptop is fired up. And you need to contact the manufacturer of your laptop again for a video card or motherboard replacement.

You’re always asking yourself, what do I need to cool my laptop without spending a lot of money for air conditioning.

You’ve spent a lot of money for laptop cooler that doesn’t even cool your laptop.

Why buy laptop cooler were you can build your own one.

 

I’ve been playing with my MSI GX620 for quite some time, and the first thing I’ve noticed on my laptop is the excessive heat that is coming from the palmrest and exhaust of my laptop. I’ve downloaded a temperature monitoring software to check the temperature of my laptop. And I was surprised that when I saw the temperature of my laptop after playing a game, it reached 67C for the GPU, and 62C for Core0 and Core1 respectively.

The first thing that come to my mind is, what will happen to my laptop if I would continue playing games on this system and the temperature will always reach at this digits.

So what I did is, I purchased a laptop cooler, the fineprint on the laptop cooler was so promising that I didn’t noticed that I spent almost 2000 Philippine Peso for it.

 

I installed the cooler, played the game, then after 30mins, I quit the game, checked the temperature and guess what happened? Nothing. It didn’t even decreased the temperature even 1C. So I asked myself, why did I purchased this thing, we’re in it didn’t even work. I checked the layout of the fans of the cooler and it didn’t even cool the parts that needs cooling. Instead it’s cooling the battery part.

 

I’ve checked almost all computer stores in Metro Manila in search for a laptop cooler. And nothing seems to be perfect for my laptop. I’m so frustrated and tired of looking for a device that will allow my laptop to run for a longer period of time without reaching 49C.

 

An idea brightens me, what if I build my own cooler.

 

So the project begun. I started by buying the table that will be used in installing the fans needed for my laptop. I spent 500 Philippine Peso for the table, then I purchased 3pieces of 12V AC fan that’s running in .52amp. That cost 540 Philippine Peso and lastly for the 12V converter that cost 500 Philippine Peso.

 

I layout the hot points of the laptop on a piece of paper that is same size of my laptop. Then draw it to the table.

 

Then I use a hole saw to bore into the table, then cut the hole using a saw to layout the fans perfectly.

It took me 2days to finish the project, but it’s worth it.

 

I tested the table with customized fans for my laptop and the result is really amazing.

 

I tried to boot up my laptop with AC and battery on it. The starting temperature is @ 40C for the GPU, and 39C for Core0 and Core1.

I played same game that heats my laptop up to almost 70C.

I played the game for 30mins, quit the game, then check the temperature and what do you know? The customized fan maintained the temperature of the GPU up to 52C and for Core0 and Core1 @46C. I didn’t expect that it will work this effective, I’ve tried to run the laptop on turbo mode while playing the game. Normally it will fry the GPU up to 80C, but when I checked it, the current temperature is @ 57C.

It’s more that I can asked for 1540 Philippine Peso.

The only drawback is, I can’t take this table where I go. But the good thing is, I don’t go anywhere except stay in my room and play GTA4, Fallout 3, Crysis, Bioshock and other computer games that will push my laptop to the limits.

I’ve attached pictures of what my table looks like for you to have an idea how it cool things up.

 

And I’ve tested the table with normal room temperature, guess what? Temp is at 36C for the GPU, 28C for Core 0 and Core 1.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment